Any ideas ?

Ian L

Hi guys any idea how I can remove the towing eye without causing damage ? the shaft is about 50mm across with 10mm thick walls which is screwed on and then welded.

I removed the small pintle eye from the shaft by cutting round the eye and along the threads and that's left me with a good straight main shaft.

But how can I remove the damaged shaft from the large towing eye ? Last photo shows the weld inside which is the problem.

DSC02566.JPG

DSC02567.JPG

DSC02568.JPG

DSC02569.JPG

DSC02570.JPG

DSC02571.JPG

Ian, I have a number of ideas, one of which you might like to use. As it would take me a long time to fully explain them here, I have sent you a PM with my phone number so you can give me a call when it is convenient for you, unless you have solved it already.

Ian, damaged shaft is scrap? In that case could you cut the shaft off then machine the remaining shaft out from inside the eye, leaving the thread which can then be cleaned up? Alternatively could you get in with a Dremel, die grinder or similar and grind the weld away, allowing you to unscrew the shaft?

Ian, damaged shaft is scrap? In that case could you cut the shaft off then machine the remaining shaft out from inside the eye, leaving the thread which can then be cleaned up? Alternatively could you get in with a Dremel, die grinder or similar and grind the weld away, allowing you to unscrew the shaft?

Hi Sean I tried the Dremel method but I'm only 55 so I don't think I'll live long enough to get it finished :cry: thought of your other method too so I'll ask my mate Scott if that's possible ? cheers

Sean is right, cutting the old shaft out of the eye is the best option, but you will probably need a lathe or mill to do it properly and you'd also need some experience in those kind of machining processes.

I would suggest that you take the part to a local engineering firm and have them do it for you. It won't cost too much and it'll be a fairly simple job for them. You'd also probably want them to run a die down the new shaft to ensure that the threads are ok.

They could also do the final assembly and weld it up.

Cheers,

Terry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Sean is right, cutting the old shaft out of the eye is the best option, but you will probably need a lathe or mill to do it properly and you'd also need some experience in those kind of machining processes.

I would suggest that you take the part to a local engineering firm and have them do it for you. It won't cost too much and it'll be a fairly simple job for them. You'd also probably want them to run a die down the new shaft to ensure that the threads are ok.

They could also do the final assembly and weld it up.

Cheers,

Terry

Hi Terry opted for your route in the end.

DSC02715.JPG

DSC02714.JPG

DSC02713.JPG

DSC02712.JPG